Total Pageviews

Friday, February 28, 2014

A COUPLE OF SURPRISES


Just about sunset time, I noticed some movement out in the front yard.  When I looked closer, I saw several Javelina's walking toward our driveway gate, near the neighbor's house.  There were about 15 of the little critters, and they just kept coming.  Is a group of wild pigs called a herd, a pack, a gaggle, or what?  Whatever the proper name is, that's the most we've seen near the house, and the first time during daylight hours.  That encounter was actually the second surprise of the day.

Earlier, I made an unscheduled, quick trip to my local dentist, due to a cracked tooth.   His diagnosis was not what I wanted to hear, but I kind of already knew that an extraction was the only possible solution.    Faced with a gap between teeth, that would only be slightly visible, I pondered 3 possible remedies, as I drove to the second quick appointment of the day with an oral surgeon.  #1 - Fill the gap with a bridge, and crowned teeth on both sides.  #2 - Have a partial built that would have to be taken in, and out.  #3 - Fill the hole with a titanium implant, that would later be fitted with a crown.  There was actually a fourth option, and that was to do nothing.

I decided on the third option, which was done in a matter of about 1 hour.  The good news is that in about 2-3 months, when the jawbone grafts firmly to the implant, my regular dentist will be able to do a normal crown, and the teeth on either side will be undisturbed.  The bad news is my dental insurance doesn't cover implants, and yesterdays decision was a pretty big hit on the bank account.  If I had the power for one "do over" in my life, it would be to start out with better teeth. Since that's not possible, I guess I'll be happy with no more dental surprises, at least not today!


4 comments:

  1. OUCH!!! That dental work doesn't sound nice at ALL!! We called it a herd of pigs but a group of javelinas is a squadron!!! They chase away coyotes, which isn't so good cuz coyotes kill rats!!! Hope they don't eat the rat bait!

    ReplyDelete
  2. They can't get at the rat poison, but they do eat the peanut butter off the traps. That was a mystery until I actually saw one doing it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It’s a good thing that you immediately consulted a dentist. The result may be disappointing, but at least you were able to find out about it and get the proper treatment before it got worse. That must've been a relief. How are you doing now, btw?

    Jason Dew @ Metro Dental Associates

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well, at least you were able to arrest that teeth problem before it got worse. Stuff like that is what you'd tend to throw all of your money for, since the goal is not wise spending, but preservation and even survival. That is a pretty important investment, in and of itself. Too bad it took a number on your money. There sure are other health plans, though, which hopefully has a lot more comprehensive coverage.

    Mitchell Carlson @ InsureYourCompany.com

    ReplyDelete