Total Pageviews

Friday, February 14, 2014

TRACTOR PORT - DAY 8



 Filling in the last piece of the plywood puzzle.

On extreme home makeover, they build an entire house, complete with landscaping in just one week.  Well, my little project just went over the 7 day mark, but I don't have an army of folks cutting boards, drilling screws, and pounding nails.  Except for Marc's help in putting up 13 of the 26 roof joists, this has been a true D.I.Y. undertaking.


The first task yesterday, was to cut the fascia boards out of a bunch of scrap siding that was left over from the garage construction.  I covered both the front and back, then put the drip rails on top of the newly cut boards.  I think there's enough scrap left, for me to cover the exposed joists on the downside of the roof.  If not, I'll have to pick up a full piece of siding.




The next task was to cover the entire 686 square feet of roof with what is commonly knows as tar paper.  This oily roofing material provides a secondary level of protection from moisture, should there be any leakage through the shingles. 


It's been a lot of years since I last did any kind of roofing, and I'm thinking there needs to be a lot more years before I do it again.  Armed with my knee pads this time, I unrolled 5 rows of the roofing paper, and stapled it down with my hand stapler.  By the time I had the roof covered, and a bizillion staples in the wood, not only did I have a blister on my knee, but I also had a matching one on my right hand as well.  Did I mention that our afternoon temps this week have been a little over 80 degrees.  Another reason not to do this again, like................forever!

With no precipitation in the long range weather forecast, I'm not in a big hurry to start laying down the shingles.  This afternoon, we're picking up our Grand Daughter Laila for a sleepover, then tomorrow, I think we're taking her to the Tucson Rodeo.  This will be the first time in 8 years, that we'll just be spectators, instead of working for the entire 9 days of the event.

Today is notification day.  We are expecting a call from Coast to Coast Carports to either confirm, or cancel Sunday's scheduled delivery.    Any bets?



Today is a special day for all people who have a significant other, celebrated with gifts like candy, flowers, and balloons.  We don't get too excited about holidays, but this is a special day around here, and after almost 34 years of marriage, I am truly blessed to live with my best friend, and the love of my life.   Happy Valentines Day everybody.

1 comment: