Total Pageviews

Tuesday, February 18, 2014

IT'S FINALLY HAPPENING


When the RV shade cover delivery didn't happen as scheduled on Sunday, my anger, and frustration was over the top, to put it mildly.  Pounding roofing nails into the shingles on the new tractor port for most of the afternoon, served as an outlet for my growing exasperation with Coast to Coast Carports.

As soon as their offices opened yesterday in Arkansas, I was on the phone, and the conversation was pretty one sided - I talked, and they listened.  I told the supervisor that their no show, without even a phone call, was the last straw, and if the building didn't show up by the end of the day, I was finished with them.  If they didn't know, they were about to learn the true meaning of "I'm your worst nightmare"!  She said she would find out where the crew was, and call me back within the hour.  The return call was prompt, and I was told the building was on the way, after they put me ahead of two other jobs.  I'm thinking to myself, is that like the check's in the mail?   While I was at an 11am dental appointment, Patty called, and said the building had arrived, and there was a question about where to place it.  I told her to tell them that we've waited for months, they can wait until I get home.



The three man crew was already laying out the bottom frame rails when I arrived, and except for a short food break, they worked nonstop until well after the sun went down.  In talking to the leader, I discovered that Coast to Coast's problem is a lack of reliable labor.  The crew that was supposed to deliver and install buildings for the Phoenix/Tucson area was fired a few weeks ago, and it's been a game of catch up for these guys.  They began this run from their base in Gallup, N.M., with 7 buildings, and because ours was the biggest, it was supposed to be the last one to be installed.  As subcontractors, working on a 10% commission, he said this run would net him a little over $3,000, and he was responsible for all of his expenses, including labor for two guys.  That disclosure might have something to do with Coast to Coast's labor problems. 


Based on Coast to Coast's track record up to this point, I was more than just a little apprehensive, particularly, regarding the quality of the product, and installation.   After watching the guys work, and after taking a good look at the materials, my fears about an inferior product were set aside. This building will be much stronger than the one we had built in Lake Havasu City.



By mid afternoon, the frames were up, and the roof panels were starting to go on.  With the help of my tractor, one of my ladders, my heavy duty drill (their big drill burned up),  and my portable spotlight, work continued until about 7pm.


During the unloading of the trailer, it was discovered that they were one side panel short, and they would have to bring, and install that panel on their next trip.  I called Arkansas to tell them that the building wouldn't be completed due to a missing panel, and that there was no way that I was paying them the full price.  When it was suggested that I pay 75%, I told them I was only going to pay 25%, and if they wanted the majority of their money, they would have an incentive to come back, and finish the building in a timely manner.  Now that most of the building is up, instead of them being in control, I now have the hammer, and I must admit that it feels pretty good!



The building should be finished by noon today (except for the one panel) and there's finally a level of satisfaction, to get to this point.  If my latest twist in luck holds out, the motor home will have a covered parking place by the end of today.  The last hurdle will be to get the county to sign off on the final inspection.


2 comments:

  1. Now wouldn't it have been MUCH easier if they had just explained the labor problem?? And no wonder ... those guys are probably getting $3.00 an hour!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It does make a difference to customers to explain why certain issues may arise. Good for you for taking the matter into your own hands!

    ReplyDelete