Total Pageviews

Saturday, February 22, 2014

FROM BULLETS, TO BEAMS


Marc and I met at the gun firing range near the fairgrounds, yesterday morning.  He recently sold his dirt bike, and part of the compensation included a couple of new guns that he wanted to fire.  I took a couple of my 40 caliber semi autos, one of which I had never fired.  We spent about an hour at the range, before he headed off to work, and I went into town, to take back the defective shingles to Lowes.


There's a few reasons why I prefer Lowes over Home Depot.  First, and foremost is the 10% discount given to military veterans.  Most of the stores will accept a copy of your DD214 (discharge paper), even though their actual policy requires a retired military I.D. card.  It's helpful if you miniaturize, and laminate your DD214.  Over the last 6 months, I've saved over $400 with the military discount.  Oooops, I think I just disclosed how much $$ I've invested in home improvement projects!

Yesterday's return of the damaged 9 shingles, is another example of how Lowes customer service is excellent.  I didn't ask for, but got credit for an entire bundle of shingles, value, a little over $25.  On top of that, they replaced the 9 damaged shingles.  Net result was a free bundle of shingles.  Those are just a couple of examples why I prefer Lowes over Home Depot.  I'm sure each store has it's individual pluses, and minuses, but the store I frequent, treats me pretty well.

  
When I climbed back up on the roof, it only took 5 more shingles to finish the job, before I started screwing down the aluminum flashing.   With the upper edge of the metal tucked back under the garage shingles, and the lower edge screwed down to the new roof, the transition from the garage, to the tractor port is now water bullet proof. 



One of the last construction components for this new structure, is to reinforce the beam holding the downside of the roof.  These 45 degree braces are probably overkill, but with them installed on all 6 support posts, there won't be any issues of a sagging beam.


I cut all 12 of the support braces, but only had enough 5 inch long, 3/8 inch screws, to do 3 posts.  When I finish that job today, I'll start the partial side enclosure, before painting every thing.  Now that the roof is done, I'm starting to see light at the end of the tunnel!

No comments:

Post a Comment