Total Pageviews

Wednesday, February 5, 2014

A NEW - OLD PROJECT


Way back when, while we were going through some of the bureaucratic nonsense with the county, waiting for them to issue a building permit for the RV shade cover, I temporarily switched gears.  I built a retaining/support wall that will support the roof extension off the south side of the garage.  That's as far as that project got, but yesterday, it went back on the front burner.


After raking all of the large rocks out of the way, I spread a couple inches of driveway gravel into the 12'x48' area that will be covered by a roof.  I also put the forks on the tractor, and moved some of it's implements like the post hole digger, and the scraper, over to this area behind the garage.


Today, I'll hook up the small trailer, and make a run to Lowes for some of the building materials I'll need to get this project started.  It may go back on hold, if the metal building gets put up this weekend, as is currently scheduled.  Once the RV shade cover is up, I still have to run the 50 amp electrical through the underground conduit, and put a faucet on the water line that is already connected to the main service.  First, we have to see if the building gets delivered this Saturday.


My oldest son Mike, informed me a week or so ago, that he's going back to Afghanistan in April, for another (his 3rd) deployment.  When this tour is completed in August, he will have spent about a year in the country of our longest war.  After 9/11, going after the terrorists who killed 3,000 Americans was a noble cause, but what started as retaliation for an attack on U.S. soil, has somehow evolved into another nation building campaign.  Eleven years of American blood and treasure is enough!  Mike assured me that this was going to be his last assignment, and I hope he's right.  His brother, Marc and I, are planning a quick trip back to Georgia before he leaves, and hopefully that's going to happen around the first week of next month.

5 comments:

  1. Please tell you son I said Thank You for serving our country. However, it is time we bring our troops home from around the world.
    Rex

    ReplyDelete
  2. Praying for Mike's safe return from his deployment, and please thank him for his service.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. During Mike's 20+ year career as an Army Warrant Officer, I never worried too much about his overseas assignments, Now that he's retired, & working as a civilian intelligence supervisor, my concerns about his 3rd deployment to Afghanistan have ratcheted up a couple of notches. Thanks for the thoughts, & I will pass them on to him.

      Delete
  3. Having served myself I know just how much a heart felt thank you means.
    Please pass on my heart felt thank you to your son for his service, he and all those who serve will be in my prayers.
    Papa
    www.papas-travels.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. How come the roof extension doesn't need a building permit (whispered so the county doesn't hear).

    ReplyDelete