Total Pageviews

Wednesday, February 19, 2014

IT'S DONE! .. .. ALMOST


The three man crew was back at the house around 7:30am, and by noon, the building was almost done.  They still have to return with one side panel, and they need to finish drilling the holes into the concrete for the anchor bolts.   After burning up their one heavy duty drill, they used my 1/2" Craftsman drill to get several anchors installed, but there's still about 10 more holes to drill.  Drilling into concrete isn't an easy process, but with a better masonry drill bit, and a hammer drill, it shouldn't take them long to finish the job.


 One more side panel needs to be installed at the right front of the building.


When the installers left, I picked up a few metal screws that were under the new building, and parked the motor home in it's new shaded area.   It seemed like it had taken forever to get to that point.


I knew the side panel tan color wouldn't perfectly match the house, but it turned out to be pretty close.  My next step will be to pull the electrical wires through the underground conduit that I had previously put in the ground, and then install a 50 amp plug on one of the metal supports, near the left rear tire of the motor home.  I also have a water line near that area, that just needs a faucet installed on the end.


With the dark brown trim in place, I think the building looks pretty good, and with top center, and side bracing, it should be much more sturdy than the last metal building we had in Lake Havasu City.
I still have to figure out the best way to shade the afternoon sun from shining directly on the rear of the motor home.  In Havasu, I came up with a drop down fabric shade, but with the more severe winds, I'm not sure that's going to work here.  


With all of the activity going on around here, I neglected to mention that Diana Rush arrived for a visit, day before yesterday.  She had driven down from their winter home in Lake Havasu, and left Bob to babysit the two dogs.  Diana & Patty call themselves the "Ya Ya Sisters", and they've been buddies for almost 20 years.  Yesterday, they did some running around in town, then, drove out to the Desert Museum. 

While they were gone, I worked on the roof of the tractor port, and am pretty close to having about half of it covered with shingles.  By 4pm, my old body said "enough", and I gave up for the day. 
 

I got a call from the transportation director at La Mesa RV yesterday, informing me that they had an opening for a driving job, was I still interested?  I reiterated the fact that we do travel frequently in our motor home, and as long as they were OK with that, yes, I still wanted to be one of their part time drivers.  I have a 1pm appointment today, to finalize the paperwork, and take a company mandated driving test.  Gee, I wonder if I'll be able to pass the test?

3 comments:

  1. So happy for you that FINALLY the job is almost done. You are surely in the drivers seat now as far as payment goes. It sounds like the workers did a good job and it would be a shame if they were the one's penalized for the POOR customer service this company provided to you. Hopefully you can figure something out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The leg height is 13", and it's 15' 8" to the peak of the roof. Because I have the bottom frame rails on raised concrete foundations, those two heights are actually about 6" higher. I have a nice clearance between the top of the motor home, and the building roof.

    ReplyDelete