Total Pageviews

Friday, February 21, 2014

ROOFING 101


When I started to cover the new roof, there were 20 bundles of asphalt shingles on the pallet.  Each bundle contains 22 individual shingles, and I should have had enough to finish the job, but I came up just a wee bit short. 

 This picture shows the progress at the point where 12 bundles of shingles are nailed down.

With the possibility of some rain next week, I wanted to get this done.  When I climbed back up on the roof yesterday morning, I had 9 bundles nailed down, a little less than half way to the finish line.  Due to the sometimes windy conditions in our area, I decided at the outset, to use 6 roofing nails per shingle, as opposed to the normal 3 or 4.  This takes a little longer, but I shouldn't have to worry about any shingles flapping in the breeze, during our next "Vail Gale".
 


The girls were gone most of the day.  They did some shopping, then visited Sabino Canyon, a popular public attraction.  When they returned at around 4pm, I had just climbed down off the roof.  What should have been a complete covering of the roof with new shingles, turned out to be an almost covering.  The last bundle had been on the bottom of the pallet, and about half of those shingles were twisted, and unusable.  A trip back to Lowes today, and I'm sure they'll replace the damaged shingles.

This is the small area left to be covered.

When the last shingle is nailed down, I have 50 feet of 10 inch aluminum flashing to screw down, where the new roof meets the old roof.  That will seal the transition between the garage and the tractor port.  With that completed, the only thing left will be to finish the 45 degree beam supports, then a coat of paint.  When finished, total shingles nailed down = 440.  Total nails hammered = Approx. 2,640.  


2 comments:

  1. Wow! That sounds like a lot of work you had done right there, Dan. I do hope you get additional shingles soon, though. Who knows when the rain will come and how strong it’ll be. It’s better to be comfortable by the time the rain comes, than having rain dripping inside your house, right?

    Paul Lawson @ Shelton Roof

    ReplyDelete
  2. roofing contractors I started in the construction trade when I was a kid and slowly worked my way up to running my own construction company in New Mexico. Roofing and storm restoration were always my main focus

    ReplyDelete