Total Pageviews

Thursday, February 6, 2014

WAY UP THERE

The first step in building the garage roof extension (tractor port), is the attachment of four 2"x6"x12' boards to the end of the trusses at the edge of the roof.  Without these in place, there wouldn't be anything strong enough to anchor the new structure. 

The distance from the ground to where these boards are going, is about 11 1/2 feet.  I have always had a mild case of acrophobia (fear of heights), and whenever I'm up in the air over a few feet, well, lets just say that I'm very respectful of the possibilities.   I knew going in, that the construction of this new roof would require me being way up there, but, sometimes you just have to bite the bullet, and do what you have to do.   I read somewhere that when you reach the age of 60, you shouldn't be climbing ladders anymore, but we all know that's for the "other" folks, certainly not me!


Without the tractor to steady one end of the board, while attaching the other end, this job would be almost impossible for one person.  I was able to get 2 of the 4 boards securely attached, before it was time to take Patty to Green Valley for a medical appointment.

There's a medical term for when the white of the eye turns red from an internal hemorrhage, but I'm not sure what that word is.  Anyway, her left eye is all red around the cornea, and after a visit to our clinic yesterday morning, the referral appointment was set up for 4pm.  After seeing the eye Doc, and even though her eye looks terrible, there really isn't a whole lot to worry about, and a little time should take care of the problem.  We were both relieved as we drove back home.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment