Total Pageviews

Monday, December 17, 2012

GETTING CONNECTED


When it comes to basic electronics, I kind of get it.  I successfully hooked up the new TV, and had it working with the DISH Network receiver.  However, the DVD player, the VHS player, the stereo receiver, and the surround sound system stayed in the box, waiting for the expert to take care of the multitude of cables, wires, and other things necessary to make everything work.


Marc and Chandra came over for a late breakfast, which was my offering to the kid, for getting all of the electronic stuff to work.  When I dismantled the "rats nest" (Patty's definition) in Lake Havasu, I left as many of the wires and cables attached to their respective devices, so that I might be able to reconfigure the whole mess at the new house.  When I started to pull all of the components out of the box, Marc said "take all of the cables and wires out of the devices".  What!!  I even had tape on the loose ends, with descriptions written as to where those ends were supposed to go.  "If I pull these all out, how do we know where they go"?  Marc assured me that everything would be OK, and started sorting through the "rats nest" of wires, re-connecting them, one at a time.  In a matter of a few minutes, everything worked, and he gave me a quick tutorial on which input was which, and what remote to use, to make the different devices work.  If the project were left to me, my guess is that it would have taken several hours, and lots of frustration.  Thanks Marc, I owe you one!


Before Marc tackled the electronics, I fixed one of my mega breakfasts that included fried potatoes with onions, mushrooms, and cheese, scrambled eggs with ham, mushrooms, and cheese, lots of bacon, Laila's favorite - pancakes, topped off with toast and fruit.  I think we all left the table with our tummies pretty full.  



This morning, the new awning on the front of the house is supposed to start going up, and according to the contractor, it's going to take a day, or perhaps a day and a half to finish the project.  More pictures tomorrow.



No comments:

Post a Comment