Total Pageviews

Friday, April 19, 2013

MOTOR HOME SERVICE


Over the last few years, I've gotten a bit lazy when it comes to routine maintenance on the motor home.  In Lake Havasu City, I took it to Joe's Auto/Truck/RV, and had great luck not only with the quality of work, but also the reasonable prices.  The last time the oil was changed was almost exactly one year, and 6,000 miles ago.  I always have spare filters, and enough oil, so I decided that yesterday was the day to "Git R Done" myself.


This motor home, and the last one, were both built with side radiators, making engine access much easier than those with rear radiators.  Except for having to crawl under the engine, the two fuel filters, the oil filter, and the air filter are all relatively easy to change.  By the time I had the filters changed, and a little over 6 gallons of fresh oil added to the engine, it was time to crawl around and grease the fittings underneath.  In Lake Havasu, I had a concrete surface, where I could use my creeper.  Yesterday, scooting around in the dirt on my back wasn't my idea of great fun, but eventually, I got R done.  The Cummins engine manual recommends that the oil be changed at 18,000 miles, but I rarely let it go beyond 5-6,000 miles.  We've put almost 70,000 miles on this motor home, with lots more to go, including a return trip to Alaska, starting in about a week.



1 comment:

  1. H i Dan
    something to think about on the oil change as an X O/O trucker even so i change my oils at 15000 miles i change the filters only at 7 or 8ooo miles the killer of the filter is the particle your motor puts out not the oils if your oils are sinthetic they dont brake down as do reg, oils do ,the reson they tell you to change oils is the filters thay can only hold so much byparts of your engs particles NOTE there have been tests that they only changeing the filters every 7000miles and adding oils as needed there up to 1,000,000 miles ( no dont try this at home PLEASE) your useing DELO from your photos well if you like it stick with it there are better oils out there for the long run last thing if you have any of the old oil you changed try putting a pint in a clean jar and find a speedco near a truckstop and have the oil analysis(cheap) of that pint and have than read it for you you will know a lot more about your motor and air syst,, (do that befor your trip and after and compair the 2
    joy your trip

    ReplyDelete