Total Pageviews

Thursday, April 11, 2013

BUILDING A DOUBLE GATE


No disasters yesterday, but maybe that's because I didn't even start the tractor.  Like Nancy said in her comments, "it's not if, but when", regarding digging around utility lines with a backhoe.

I started the day with a quick trip to Lowes.  Well, actually, there's no such thing as a quick trip anywhere, as the closest Lowes is about a 45 mile round trip.  The gate project went into full swing, as I built the first gate half, the one that will be controlled by the automatic opener.
 

The time consuming part of putting this 3 rail gate together, is making sure that everything is lined up, and square.  Getting the ball bearing hinges in the right place on the post, also took a little time, as measurements were critical before drilling holes through the 6 inch wood.  After I had the first 10 foot section together, Patty helped me carry it out to the driveway, where I first attached it to the hinges, then bolted everything to the post.

 
Today, I'll have the other half together, then start on installing the opener, and the 2 keypad posts.  I don't count on luck anymore, so let's just say that if everything goes as planned, the gate will be operational in a day or so. 


No comments:

Post a Comment