Total Pageviews

Tuesday, April 16, 2013

A WILD GOOSE CHASE

After my 3 day, 1,300 mile motorcycle ride last week, I parked the Harley in the garage, and have been ignoring the need to get it cleaned up.  With the gate finished, that was my chore yesterday.  When I had the bike washed and waxed, I took out one of the front passing lamps that had burned out on the trip.  First stop was O'Reilly Auto Parts.  No luck there, but they could special order the light for $30.  No thanks, but since I had already driven half way into town, I decided to continue the search for a light.  Another 10 miles or so, and I pulled up to a small motorcycle shop that specializes in Harley-Davidson parts & service.  Ooops, it's Monday, and some motorcycle businesses still cling to the traditional closed days of Sunday & Monday.

Next stop was a PepBoys.  You guessed it, not in stock.  Finally, I stopped at the Honda, Kawasaki, Suzuki, Yamaha, dealer, and when I told the parts person that the light was off a Harley, his immediate response was they didn't carry any Harley parts.  I said "I know, but it's a standard 12 volt light.  Don't any of the Japanese bikes use this light".  Quick answer - "NO".  OK, I'm not getting anywhere here, and feeling more and more by the second, that I'm in enemy territory, I headed out the door.

If the Harley Dealer wasn't clear across town, that would have been my next stop, but as the saying goes.......live to fight another day.  

2 comments:

  1. I've heard that expression about parts being made of "unobtainium". Now I understand.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just had the same thing happen ... battery (aren't they all the same?) Didn't want to drive to Modesto Harley, local shops closed (it was Monday too) ... finally ended up with a non-Harley variety that was a dud and had to be returned!! What a pain!!

    ReplyDelete