Total Pageviews

Wednesday, April 10, 2013

A DIGGING DISASTER


I started my gate project yesterday, after blue staking the areas where I was going to dig the gate post holes.  The only utility that didn't come out and mark where their underground lines were located, was the Vail Water Company.  On the east side of the driveway, I carefully dug the first hole near where the electric, gas, and cable utilities had marked their locations.  The first 6" x 6" post went into the ground, no problem. 


Then, I started digging on the other side of the driveway for the second gate post, and on about the 4th bucket, I found out exactly where the 1 inch water line was located, as the backhoe quickly destroyed the plastic line.  The hole quickly filed up with water, as I tried to turn off the valve at the meter.  No luck with that, as the ball shutoff valve was rusted stuck in the open position.  Now what?  I called the water company, and they said someone was on the way.


While waiting for the water company to respond, I grabbed a pair of pliers, and was able to muscle the main shutoff valve to the off position.  The first crisis of me irrigating the entire desert was averted.  Shortly after shutting off the water, the water guy showed up.  When asked why they didn't respond to the blue stake request, he said they are not responsible for water lines from the meter, to the house, and they mostly ignore those requests.  I should have known that Murphy's Law was probably going to come into play, and it sure as heck did!


A quick trip to the hardware store, and I had the necessary items for repair.  A little more digging, this time by shovel, and I had the water line reconnected.  A couple of hours after the disaster had occurred, the water situation was back to normal.  I put the second post in the ground near the water line, mixed up 5 more bags of concrete, and the driveway was just about ready for the gate.
 

First, I have to build the gate, which will be the next phase of this project.  I also have a solar powered gate opener, and two key pads with posts to install.  With any luck, all of that will go a little better than my inadvertent attempt yesterday, to irrigate all of the native vegetation in the wash next to the house.


This gate project is the last big thing on my list, before we take off for Alaska.  I still have to service the motor home with an oil & filters change before we leave.  Getting the RV ready for the trip will be the next, and last project.
 

2 comments:

  1. It's not if you will, but WHEN you will. Now you're a REAL backhoe operator! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  2. Now after picking myself up off the floor. My sides are killing me all i can say is
    Right on big guy
    Nancy hit the big nail on the head Mister backhoe Guy
    now as a big NOTE when installing Your key pads posts and you smell GAS. STOP
    You might try calling vail water co,(they dropped your ball) to verify the workers story
    Dig safe are supposed mark all lines
    The cost of sending a man an truck to your site after the fact had they sent one prior is what dig safe is all about

    ReplyDelete