Total Pageviews

Saturday, April 27, 2013

1ST DAY - 544 MILES


We pulled away from the "Last Chance Ranch" at 8:30am, headed for California.  It's no secret, that when I'm behind the wheel of the motor home, I'm a happy camper.  The only pit stops I need to make are for things like fuel, an occasional bite to eat, and to use the bathroom.  The eating part is often done while I'm still behind the wheel.  I haven't quite figured out how to do the other two things at 65 miles per hour.


Our route across the desert yesterday was W/B on I10 to I8 around Phoenix, then back on I10 all the way to the outskirts of LA.  From there, it was I210 to I215 to I15 up the Cajon Pass.  Every time I travel up, or down this iconic corridor, I can't help but marvel at the ingenuity of the railroads, as they figured out a way to lay their tracks up, and over this famous pass.  At the top of Cajon Pass, we left I15 for N/B US395, staying on a 40 mile section of heavily traveled two laned road that really needs widening to 4 lanes.

There's really no need to pass when there's a line of traffic that seems to have no end.  Yet, there's always one in every crowd.  Fortunately, I was watching Miss Parnelli Jones, as she pulled out to pass me, almost directly in front of a line of S/B traffic, coming from the opposite direction.  As I simultaneously hit the brakes, the air horn, and swerved to the right, the lead car in the S/B traffic also swerved onto the shoulder, so Miss lead foot could have enough room to avoid a head on collision.  It's at those moments when I really wish I could reach out and touch someone!

 Miss Gracie has decided that a perch above mom is the newest place to travel down the highway.


After surviving Hwy 395, we turned west on Hwy 58 for only a few miles, stopping in Boron for the night. The Arabian RV Oasis is a Passport America park, a place we've stopped at before.  More importantly, it's about a 4-5 block walk to Domingo's Mexican Restaurant.  The food is always good, and we were both ready for dinner.  We'll arrive at Nancy's today, a much shorter drive of 200+ miles.

Total miles = 544     Cumulative = 544
Diesel at Pilot in Eloy (I10 exit 208)       $3.36
Diesel at Pilot in Quartzite (I10 exit 17)  $3.58 = $85.00  Cumulative = $85.00

Even though fuel prices are dropping, it's not likely we'll see diesel under $4 a gallon in CA.  This Pilot was at the junction of I15 and Hwy 395.

2 comments:

  1. $3.89 at my truck stop in Livingston ... but it changes daily!!! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  2. Don't swerve, run over the idiot. I swerved 11 years ago to miss an idiot. Now my spine is broken in 6 places and can never heal, my pelvis is held together with 3 plates, 8 screws and an artificial hip, I am missing 3 feet of small intestine, part of a kidney, part of my liver and I lost about 50% of the use of my left hand. I will not swerve.

    Please be careful on the road and post a lot of pictures of Alaska. Because I swerved, I have to do my traveling vicariously, so please be careful.

    Rex

    ReplyDelete