Total Pageviews

Friday, March 1, 2013

A NEW SEWING MACHINE


On our trip into town yesterday, the first stop was Arizona VAC & SEW.  We were going to drop off Patty's 30 year old Kenmore sewing machine to be fixed.  It had quit a few weeks ago, and even though Patty was doing research for the purchase of a new machine, she thought the old one needed to last a little bit longer.  When it comes to sewing machines, the only brand name I know is Singer.  We still have my Grandmothers Singer treadle machine, built back in the day when electricity wasn't a necessary component for sewing.


While the work order was being written up,. Patty was looking at the new machines, and not a Singer was to be seen.  According to the store owner, Singer & many of the other sewing machine manufacturers are now owned by Chinese companies.    The only Singer sewing machines in the store were a couple of antiques, similar to my Grandmothers.  While the owner of the store was giving Patty a demo on a new Necchi machine, and even though I was watching, I didn't have a clue of what the difference was between a bobbin, or any of the other bells and whistles.  The new machines are all computerized, and I think if they had wings, they probably would be able to fly!

As I've said, when it comes to sewing machines, I wouldn't know the front from the back, but when the demo was about finished, I was impressed with what the machine could do.  I was equally impressed with the knowledge of  the store owner.  There was no hard sell going on, but rather he was showing her some of the things that the new machines could do.  Knowing that Patty wanted a new machine, and seeing that this particular machine would be able to do everything that she wanted it to do, I started thinking, why spend any money on the old Kenmore, when it's life is limited.  Thinking that the 30 year old Kenmore wasn't worth anything, I still asked the store owner if it had any trade in value.  I was surprised when he said that he could use it for parts, and he would give Patty a $50 trade in credit on a new machine.  By not spending any money on the repair of the old machine, and a $50 trade in, that was a savings of over $100.  When we found out that the purchase of a new machine included a 20% discount from M.S.R.P., a 50 spool box of quality thread, a thread stand, up to 6 hours of free in house instruction, and the first year maintenance at no charge, I was sold.  Patty agreed, and we walked out the door with a new machine, staying just under the $1,000 dollar budget that Patty had established.

The owner is checking a list of components, making sure everything is included.

 Here's the new Necchi (American owned company) sewing machine, set up for use at home.


Our other stops were at Lowes, then Home Depot.  When we got back to the house, I started using some of the newly purchased plywood, and finished sheeting the outside of the two interior walls of the storage room.  I think I have all of the materials I need to finish, and that should be done within the next few days.

The room is now completely enclosed, and getting close to being done.

1 comment:

  1. YAY Patty!!!!!!!!!!!! Nothing better than a nice new sewing machine!!!

    ReplyDelete