Total Pageviews

Thursday, March 21, 2013

CLOSING THE GAPS


When the roof overhang was boxed in during construction of the garage, there was a small gap left between the top of the wall, and the eve.  The distance varied from nothing, to 1/2 inch.  This was one of those little things that would drive me crazy, every time I looked up and saw sunlight peeking through the crack.  The gap was in a place where rain, or moisture probably wasn't going to be a problem. but it was a perfect place for wasps, or hornets to gain entry into the building.
 

The simple fix was a small molding strip screwed over the 90 degree corner, finished with a strip of caulking material along the top.  Yesterday, I completed the project by putting a coat of paint on the wood.  I also painted the trim pieces around where the small air conditioner sticks through the wall at the back of the building.


The garage is pretty much done, both inside and out, except for a future shade cover along the exterior south wall.  Since moving here in December I had the garage built, then, along with help from my neighbor, brought the power underground from the other side of the house, and did the electrical wiring inside the building.  Insulating and sheet rocking the interior walls was a big project, that took a lot of time.  When that was done, I put up shelving, cabinets, and pegboard.  Next, I built a 100 square foot storage room in the southeast corner, complete with an air conditioner in the wall.  Other projects included rain gutter, and down spouts on the north wall, building work benches, and finally getting all of the boxes emptied, and off the floor. 


The next big project, coming up when we return from our Easter motor home trip with Laila, is the driveway.  Once the driveway is moved entirely onto our property, and the surface is improved, then I can build, and install the gate, complete with solar powered, automatic opener.  By the time that's done, it'll be getting close to departure time for Alaska.  I think I'll be ready for a vacation!


1 comment:

  1. Your garage is beautiful ... but entirely too clean for a garage!!!!!

    ReplyDelete