Total Pageviews

Thursday, February 28, 2013

KEEPING THE COOL IN


When I insulated all 4 walls (157 feet, 11 1/2' high) of the garage, I didn't do it primarily as a way to retain heated, or cooled air.  Perhaps in the future, I may sheet rock, and insulate the ceiling, making the entire building adaptable for heating and/or air conditioning, but it's doubtful.  It's just too big a room for that to be practical, at least for right now.  However, when I decided to sheet rock the walls, it didn't make much sense to do that without adding insulation.  At least the walls are done if I change my mind in the future.


Insulating the storage room that I'm building inside the garage is essential, since it will be climate controlled with a small air conditioner.  Yesterday, I laid the insulation on top of the room, and topped it off with 5/8" plywood.  Now, I have about 100 square feet of storage space that was originally on the concrete, and has now been moved up in the air about 8 1/2 feet. 


The next task for the day was insulating the two outside walls of the room.  Since I added a bunch of wall studs, taking the normal 16" on center, down to 8" on center, I had to cut the insulation sheets in half.  It took a little extra time, but when you do something repeatedly, you usually get pretty efficient at the process.  When I finished the insulation, I put up some plywood on the walls, and then ran out of materials.  So, it's off to Lowes, or Home Depot today, where hopefully, I'll pick up most everything else I'll need to finish the room.



No comments:

Post a Comment