Total Pageviews

Monday, March 25, 2013

2 WHEELING THE TRACKS


It was finally time to break away from my project list, and do some exploring on the dual sport bike.  Due to the Union Pacific's main line tracks being so close, I spent about an hour riding east of our house, next to the rails.  Not too far from our place, there's an abandoned spur track that serviced a large metal building.  I've been told that business used to make wooden trusses, but it's long been empty, and I've never confirmed what they used to do there.



About 5 miles to the east, one of the two U.P. tracks crosses over the Cienega Creek drainage on this big trestle.  What the picture doesn't show is the other mainline track coming under both of the bridges, keeping to the south of the creek.  Marc had a past experience where he crossed the big bridge on his dirt bike, just making it to the other side before a train came along.  I don't think that's an issue that I'll ever have to worry about!

 



From the bridges, I rode the old Benson highway back toward the house, doing some more exploring on a few of the dirt roads in the area.  I got back next to the tracks before returning home, and had a long freight come up behind me.  I was a short distance away from the tracks, but you can see the train in the background.


We picked up Laila in the afternoon, and this morning, we're taking the motor home to the Thousand Trails RV Park near Cottonwood, in the Verde Valley.  I have tickets to ride the Verde Canyon Train tomorrow, then I think we're taking Laila to the Grand Canyon on Wednesday, for her first ever look at a place we called home for two summers.  I have a feeling the next 6 days are going to be quite busy!


No comments:

Post a Comment