Total Pageviews

Thursday, October 18, 2012

MOVING WOOD & BLOCK


The smaller section of the former front deck, is now situated in it's new permanent location, adjacent to the back patio deck.  I removed the block steps, and most were used at either end of the back deck.  When I removed the entire deck from the front of the house, this wasn't part of the plan,  it just kind of worked out that way. 




My earlier complaint about trying to remove the front deck by hand, is still valid, as the larger section has to be dismantled.  It's way to large to haul away, and besides, there's still a lot of good lumber in that old deck.  Has anybody priced, or purchased lumber lately?  So, it was back at those impossible deck screws, that have phillips heads as soft as a warm cube of butter.  No matter how well I have matched the phillips drill bit to the screw, most still just spin, making the screw a semi permanent part of the wood.  I think there have been 2 or 3 boards, where I was able to remove all of the screws, and retrieve the board intact.   Removal of all the other boards have required a hammer, a demo bar, and lots of un-repeatable words and phrases. 


It was mid afternoon when the awning company guy showed up to take a look at the front of the house.  By then, I was ready to call it a day, in my battle with the old deck, and it's semi permanent screws.  Make no mistake, the old deck is going down, it's just going to take awhile, as my physical, and verbal assault continues against the wooden monster.


No comments:

Post a Comment