Total Pageviews

Sunday, October 7, 2012

DOIN IT IN THE DIRT


No, not that kind of "doin it", but action nonetheless, on the dirt track last night.  Marc and I discovered that the Grand National Flat Track championship series was going to be in Tucson last night, so we just had to check it out.  We weren't disappointed as there were spills, thrills, and some good old fashioned racing action on the 3/8 mile dirt track at Tucson International Raceway.



I spent the first part of the day running some errands, and picking up some oil and a filter for the tractor.  With the oil & filter changed, I've got another 100 hours of work before it needs to be changed again.  On Tuesday, another 40,000 pounds of fill dirt will be delivered, and it will take a few hours to get it repositioned on the property.

When we had our Harley-Davidson Dealership in CA, the Grand National dirt track mile race in Sacramento was one of the highlights of the year.  I would take all of our employees to the race, getting the best seats at Cal Expo, with food & drinks as part of the package.  Back then, I knew most of the racers, like Chris Carr, and Scotty Parker, but last night, there was only one name that I recognized.  It's been about 12 years since I last attended a dirt flat track motorcycle race, but the action is still fast paced, and the competition is as fierce as ever.


The best race of the evening was in the single cylinder class, where a gal ended up being the winner.  She passed for the lead on the last corner, and won the race by just a few feet.  I don't remember her name, but I think I heard the announcer say that she was the only women to have ever won in the expert class. 


It was a fun evening watching these motorcycle daredevils in action, and reminded me of  many great races that I've seen in years past.

No comments:

Post a Comment