Total Pageviews

Saturday, October 27, 2012

IT'S A PUMPKIN FEST



The end of October signals the season of ghosts, goblins, witches, trick or treaters, and of course, pumpkins.  Yesterday afternoon, Patty and I brought our pumpkin over to Marc, Chandra, & Laila's house, and the pumpkin seeds started flying.


While Marc, Chandra, & Patty were busy with their carving knives, Laila started separating the seeds from the "goo", while Grandpa supervised.  By the way, this was a contest, and I was the self appointed judge, who during this political season, made it quite clear, that I would consider any bribes that were offered.    I also made the point, that there wasn't going to be an appeal process, and my decision was the final word. 



For about an hour, I watched the 3 pumpkin carving fanatics craft their masterpieces, and sort of helped Laila put the seeds in a bowel.  I think more seeds made their way to my mouth, than to the bowel.


When the dust settled, 3 of the 4 contestants showed off their creations, (Mom was Laila's artist).  No knives yet for this 7 year old.  Chandra continued carving her second pumpkin, and was done in record time.

Who has the biggest smile - Patty or the Jack O Lantern?


Marc was convinced that he had the winner.
 

With candles inside, the finished products were on display in the kitchen.  What would the judge decide?   Don't tell anybody, but this arbiter of  the Pumpkin Picasso's had already made up his mind.


And the winner is..........Long before Laila displayed her ghost pumpkin, created by Mom, the judge knew who the winner would be.  How could Grandpa resist that smile, which turned out to be the ultimate bribe.

While Chandra put the finishing touches on a delicious pot roast dinner, Laila, Grandma & Grandpa played Jr. Monopoly on the living room floor.  I didn't know the game even existed.  It's a much simpler version of the regular game, and it goes much faster.  For me, it went real fast, as I was the first to go bankrupt.  Grandma turned out to be the winner, but in the end, she and I were both winners, spending some wonderful time with our family.














1 comment: