Total Pageviews

Tuesday, October 15, 2013

WHAT'S A JAVELINA?


Since moving to the small community of Vail about a year ago, we've been hearing about the wild pigs called Javelinas, that roam the area, often passing through neighborhood yards.  A few evenings ago, Patty and I heard some noise in the front yard.  When we went out to investigate, we caught glimpses of several Javelinas, as they passed through our property.  They eat mostly vegetation, with the prickly pear cactus being one of their favorites.  An adult can weigh up to about 80-90 pounds, and they usually stay together in small packs.

Last night, while watching the tube with the rear screen door open, I heard some noise in the backyard.  Armed with a bright spot light, I saw a couple of these wild porkers out near an area where I have several pack rat traps.  I often find the traps sprung, with the peanut butter completely gone.  It's been a mystery until last night, when I watched one of the javelinas lick the peanut butter off one of the traps, and spring it at the same time.  It jumped back, but then went on about it's business as if nothing had happened.  Mystery solved!


It was dark when I took these pictures, and they aren't very good, but at least you get an idea of what these critters look like.  They're not particularly afraid of humans, as I got within about 15 feet before they started moving away.  There have been isolated incidents where humans have been attacked by groups of Javelinas, but it's extremely rare.  I guess if you're yard is full of flowers, these guys could be a problem, but for us, they're just another example of living in the rural desert.

Another beautiful Arizona Sunset.

No comments:

Post a Comment