Total Pageviews

Sunday, October 13, 2013

BUILDING PERMIT UPDATE

As previously mentioned, when I tried to obtain a Pima County building permit for the new RV shade cover, I was told that I needed to go through a process whereby all of the adjoining property owners have to be notified, and there CAN NOT be any objections.  The reason given was zoning only allowed 1,500 square feet for outbuildings, and the new garage/shop took up that space, leaving no allowance for the shade cover.  See blog post "More Red Tape" on Oct 9 for more details.

Our 4 acre parcel is adjoined by 11 other properties, and so the county will send those property owners a letter explaining our intent to build an RV shade cover.  The neighbors have 15 days to object in writing, and if there is no opposition, then we will be able to obtain a building permit.  We have been a little more proactive, and have been trying to personally contact all of our neighbors, in hopes that a personal explanation will go a lot farther than a county originated form letter.   So far, six of our neighbors have signed a declaration that they have no objection to our project, and I still have two neighbors who I haven't as yet caught at home.  Two other property owners are absentee owners with renters on their property, and they have been sent a package with pictures, & other documentation as to what we want to do.  Hopefully, they will also sign the declaration.  That leaves the Union Pacific RR that I'll just have to let the county do the notification by way of letter.

I guess I should be thankful that the door wasn't completely shut regarding the procurement of a building permit.  However, the idea that I have to get my neighbors permission to improve MY property, just doesn't set real well with my philosophy of live, and let live.  Over the last 100 years or so, the erosion of private property rights is best demonstrated by the governments power of eminent domain.  To seize private property for highway construction, and pay the owner fair market value is one thing, but to seize property for the "public good", such as  the building of a shopping center is an entirely different proposition.   Both examples have occurred, fortunately, the later only on a few occasions.

Our experience with this one small issue of property rights, is illustrative of the bigger picture that is happening across the country.  Plain and simple - much of our government, (especially the feds), has gotten too big, too intrusive, and too controlling over our every day lives.  There's a lot of talk about throwing the bums out of Washington, and taking back the country, but unfortunately, the preponderance of apathy always seems to prevail.  What happened to the founders vision of a small central government, and President Lincoln's immortal words  "Government of the people, by the people, and for the people"?  The fundamental principle upon which our country was created, is that government should work FOR us, not against us. On the New York Times bestseller list is a book that I just finished reading, entitled "The Liberty Amendments" by Mark Levin.  I'll get off my soapbox now, but if anyone's interested in learning how far the pendulum has swung toward governmental soft tyranny, this book is a great read.  OK, now I feel better!







1 comment:

  1. Your post makes me glad I live where I do. Though the area has many problems, we are still able to do pretty much what we wish with our own property as long as it doesn't directly affect anyone else.

    ReplyDelete