Total Pageviews

Wednesday, October 2, 2013

THE GREAT WALL - DAY 3


Finally finishing the critical first row yesterday, I then started stacking the block.  The length of this retaining wall has somehow grown longer than I first estimated.  It's now a little over 72' long, and will be about 4'-5' high.  I kept adding a few more feet to each end, when I realized that the fill area had to be extended.
 
Moving the block in the tractor bucket gets it much closer to the wall.
 

I'm guessing that each one of these 8"x8"x16" blocks weighs somewhere in the neighborhood of 15 pounds.   Moving & stacking hundreds of these cement monsters is good exercise, but the old muscles and body certainly feel it each morning. 


Today, I'll have to get more block, and should finish the third row which is a slightly different style.  The picture shows that the top of the block is more open, which allows a horizontal row of rebar to be layed in the block.  With vertical rebar pounded down through the holes in the block, and the entire wall filled with concrete, this baby ain't going nowhere!


Today, I'm ordering the building, with an estimated delivery time of 4-6 weeks.  When I get the wall completed, the next phase will be to frame up the side foundations, which will be 12" wide, 12" deep, and a little over 45' long.  When I get that first foundation formed up, it'll be time to call for the concrete truck. 

No comments:

Post a Comment