Total Pageviews

Friday, October 18, 2013

THE RIDE HOME

On the third morning of my ride, I awakened in Lordsburg, N.M. to a chilly, cool 37 degree temperature.  Even with a great jacket, and other cool riding gear, I wasn't in a big hurry to hit the road.  By the time I had breakfast, & read the morning El Paso newspaper, the sun was out, and it had warmed up enough to where I didn't need to put on the long johns. 

Instead of about a 2 1/2 hour ride home on Interstate 10, I took Hwy 70 out of Lordsburg, detouring through Duncan and Safford.  I added about 40 miles to the ride home, but these were new roads, and new scenery, so the extra miles were worth getting off the Interstate.  By the time I pulled into the homestead, it was mid day, and the end of a great ride.  There's something about being on the Harley that rejuvenates my spirit, and gives me the purest sense of freedom.  There's an old phrase that's been around forever, but it describes being a motorcycle enthusiast perfectly......"If I have to explain, you won't understand".  With my batteries recharged, I'm ready to get back to some of my home projects.

The process of getting all 11 adjoining property owners to sign off on our proposed RV shade cover is still moving along, albeit slowly.  Before leaving on the ride, I got the last signature of an owner who occupies their property.  That total is 7, with 3 packages being mailed out to absentee owners.  We got one of those signatures back yesterday, so we have 2 to go, plus the Union Pacific RR.  With a little luck, I'm hoping to go back to the county next week, and turn in 10 of  the 11 signatures.  The county will have to send a letter to the RR, which according to them, will just be a formality.  I'm still not counting my chickens before..........well, you know.  This morning, the first of several 24 ton truckloads of dirt will be arriving to fill in behind the "Great Wall".   The transition from the Harley to the Kubota begins today!

No comments:

Post a Comment