Total Pageviews

Tuesday, November 12, 2013

SWITCHING GEARS

 Miss Snoopy starts her day either in my lap, or on top of the desk.


I finished the first RV shade cover foundation/footing yesterday, adding two rows of rebar, and framing the last section with more boards.  It's now ready for concrete, but until I get a building permit, it will have to wait until an inspector takes a look, and deems it acceptable as a foundation.  I'm hoping to get the engineered plans sometime next week, and by then, the 15 day objection time frame will have passed, and I should be able to get the permit.  In the meantime, this project is on temporary hold.

The tractor port project is also on hold, until I get an approval from the H.O.A.  Building the garage roof extension will take some time, and I don't want to start that construction until I get the RV shade cover up.  So, two projects advanced as far as possible, and what to do?  Actually, there are a whole bunch of other things to be done, but one small project that had advanced to the top of the list was the planting of a tree at the corner of the house, near the garage.


I wanted an evergreen, and after some advice from the folks at Civano Nursery, decided on purchasing a Red Tip Photinia Tree.  It will withstand high heat, and more importantly, below freezing temps which we get during the colder months.  Back at the house, I carefully dug a small hole with the backhoe, making sure I didn't damage the electrical & water lines to the garage.  Once the tree was in the ground, I mixed a bag of concrete for a small planter edge, then finished the project by securing the tree with some lines, to keep it from being blown over by the wind.

The planting of a tree on Veteran's Day, somehow seemed appropriate in my mind.  Every time I walk by this tree, it will serve as a reminder of the many sacrifices rendered by our vets, and their families.  I don't always agree with our country's military engagements, but there can be no disagreement that our active duty forces, and all that have served, deserve our respect and admiration!

No comments:

Post a Comment