Total Pageviews

Tuesday, November 5, 2013

MORE BLOCK


An early trip to Lowes yesterday morning, and I had another load of standard 8"x8"x16" construction block.  Because my trailer isn't very big, I've tried to limit the amount of block to a maximum of 75 per load.  That's still pretty heavy at approx. 2,600 pounds.  As it turned out, it was enough block to finish this "small wall", that will serve as a foundation for the garage roof extension, and as a retaining structure.  Because the grade slopes down toward the rear of the garage, I staggered the wall to conform to the bank on the other side.

When late afternoon rolled around, I had all of the block stacked, and glued together with another form of concrete called mortar mix.  Earlier in the day, I made the mistake of first trying to use a half bag of mortar that I had in the garage.  I had forgotten that it was quick set mortar, and by the time I had it mixed with water in the wheelbarrow, it started to set up so fast, that I almost ended up with a permanent load.  By the time I scrapped the stuff out, it was already hardened, and useless.

Today, another trip to Lowes for about 40 bags of concrete mix, which I hope will be enough to fill the wall.  On another note, a little over a week to go, and hopefully, I'll be able to get a building permit for the RV shade cover. 



Patty called yesterday evening, to report that the group of 18 had missed their flight out of San Francisco, and were possibly on a red eye to Miami a little later in the evening.  Read Nancy's blog post for more details. 

No comments:

Post a Comment