Total Pageviews

Thursday, November 14, 2013

STEPPING UP

 The drag bike seat served as a good chin rest for Miss Snoopy yesterday morning.

Moving a bunch of dirt away from the back of the deck and the house was the first order of business yesterday morning.  Along with some concrete block, the dirt served as the transition from the deck, down about 3 feet to where the motor home is normally parked.
 

With the dirt out of the way, and some measurements, I dug a trench at the depth I thought was correct for the landscape timber.  My method for determining the correct depth was not exactly an exact science, as I had to adjust the depth of the trench more than once.  When I finally got the step anchor in the right place, I attached the step risers to the deck, and the timber.
 



By the time I had the step boards screwed down, it was about 5pm, and time to call it quits.   There's a pretty good sized area at the bottom of the steps, between the house and where the shade cover/motor home will be positioned.  I think some sort of paved walkway from the steps to the shade cover will work until I decide what to do with the rest of that area. 

If the county sent out the letter to the railroad when they say they did, today is the 15th day, and the end of the objection time frame.  With no opposition, and as soon as I receive the engineered plans and calculations for the building, I'll be able to get a building permit.  I cut a deal with the local concrete company, and even though their minimum delivery is 5 yards, they will supply the approx. 2- 2 1/2 yards, and only charge me an extra $50.  That's $100 over and above the normal price for both footings, but I won't have to buy all of the materials to frame up the other side.  Savings - about $100.

 A little deck paint, and the steps will match the rest of the wood.


Patty and Nancy fly back to San Francisco tomorrow from Costa Rica, then Patty returns home on Sunday.  Lets hope that all goes a little more smoothly than their departure fiasco.

No comments:

Post a Comment