Total Pageviews

Thursday, June 16, 2011

SUNSETS, DEER & ELK

Two days ago, I was driving a bus on the Hermits Rest Road (Red Route), when I had to stop at the Abyss for a few minutes, in order to readjust my time schedule. It just so happened that the adjustment coincided exactly with the sunset over the rim of the canyon. Not the best place to view the sunset at the Grand Canyon, but still not bad. Once again, my camera is very limited in it's capabilities, but after enhancing the scene on the computer with a little more light, well, you get the picture.

Sunsets are a big deal here, I think primarily because of the fact that there is so much scenery below where the sun sets on the rim of the canyon. Most sunsets are viewed simply on the horizon, but here, there is such a beautiful scene below the horizon, (which my camera doesn't capture), that the setting of the sun is enhanced by the magnificent scenery of the canyon. On most days, hundreds, if not several thousand people, flock to various points on the south rim for a view of this natural phenomenon.

Yesterday was my Cover Bus day, and after doing a couple of runs on Hermits Rest Road, I parked near the Back Country Information Center, waiting for a call from the dispatcher. It was just about dark when the call came, and as I was preparing to leave, I spotted several Mule Deer in front of the bus. It was a little too dark for any good pictures, but at least you can see the critters, as they ate their way past where I was parked.

Just as I pulled out, I spotted a female Elk with two newborns in tow. We've been seeing baby Elk during the past couple of weeks, and it's interesting that they, much like Deer Fawns, have a lot of spots on their bodies. As I rounded the corner, the Mother Elk and her kids, integrated themselves into the small Deer herd, which I had not seen before. In the past, I have always seen them by themselves, or within their own group.

Today is officially the one month milestone of our summer here at the South Rim of Grand Canyon National Park. One down, and about 3 to go.

No comments:

Post a Comment