Total Pageviews

Saturday, June 18, 2011

RUDENESS ABOUNDS

I'm not sure if it's a feeling of entitlement because they're on vacation, or if it's something more inherent to their nationality, that makes people act without regard to simple courtesy, and politeness. Whatever the reason, the lack of civility and respect for others is in abundance among the crowds here at the Grand Canyon.

When Patty and I worked the 4 summers (04-07) in Skagway, Alaska, we saw folks from all over the world coming off the cruise ships. After awhile, it was difficult not to form opinions about the different countries with respect to the people and their attitudes. That same analysis is starting to take place, as I again deal with people from the far reaches of the globe.

As we really ramp up for the busiest part of the summer season, we're starting to see larger and larger crowds on the buses. When you throw a lot of people together, sometimes having to wait in line, or having to stand when seats aren't available, it's a recipe for potential conflict.

I think most everyone will agree, there's nothing more irritating than when waiting your turn in line, someone comes along and tries to cut to the front. That's exactly what happened yesterday, as I was pulling up to the Hermits Rest Transfer stop in the Village. When I opened the front door, a couple of individuals literally forced their way past the front of the line, squeezing into the bus in front of about 100 people. I almost couldn't believe it, and my reaction was quicker than instant. I was out of my seat faster than you can say lickity split, and stopped these two male individuals before they got 3 feet into the bus. When I started to read them the riot act, I quickly saw the blank look on their faces, and realized that they didn't understand a word I was saying. It came down to me pointing to the door, and giving them both a gentle nudge toward it. When they stepped off the bus, they transitioned from my indignation to the verbal rath of the crowd, as they went to the end of the line. What's up with people like that?

I could go on about general rudeness, and be more specific regarding which nationalities seem to be at the top of the list, but that's not where I'm headed. I often think to myself - would I act that way? When the answer is no, then my thoughts tend to be condemning of that person or persons. It's pretty rare when I'm verbal about some one's disrespectful actions, or behavior, but this just might be the summer when my quiet demeanor becomes a little bit louder!

1 comment:

  1. This reminds me of when I worked in Yosemite. "That" country doesn't know what manners are ... unfortunately for them, pushing everyone out of the way and being first is how they survive. Irritates the heck out of me though!!! LOL Obviously everyone appreciated your efforts!!

    ReplyDelete