Total Pageviews

Monday, June 6, 2011

NEIGHBORLY HORNS

No, not the kind that go beep, beep, but the kind that grow out of the heads of the Rocky Mountain Elk. Yep, these guys are also our neighbors here at the Grand Canyon National Park. A few days ago, there were 7 females grazing around our motor home, and Sami learned first hand, that the front hooves can be dangerous if you get too close.

At first, I was oblivious to this guys presence, as I was on the other side of the motor home washing the jeep. One of my two legged neighbors was riding his bicycle when he stopped and pointed out the four legged neighbor. We both watched from a distance, then I took these pictures. As I mentioned before, the Elk and Deer in the park are humanized, and due to their close contact with people, have very little fear of us. We see them just about every day, but it's still amazing when you are this close to these magnificent creatures.

The tree next to our neighbors trailer seems to be one of the Elk's favorite snacks

My guess is that this guy weighs in at about 5-700 pounds, and his partner, peaking around the corner, was only slightly smaller.

Several years ago, Patty and I were parked near Jasper, Alberta during the Elk mating season, and we witnessed a much more aggressive male Elk, as he tried to keep the females under his control. Not sure when that time period is, but if it's during the next 3 months, these guys will be getting a lot more space from me. For now, it's always a treat to be up close and personal with these neighbors.

No comments:

Post a Comment