Total Pageviews

Thursday, June 23, 2011

IT'S A PARADE

OK, I know this blog is fast becoming an Internet "wild kingdom", with all of the pictures of the Deer and Elk. I'm trying, but it's hard not to take pictures of these critters, when they present themselves in such unabashed fearlessness.

So, I'm sitting here a few minutes ago, reading my favorite blogs, and thinking what the heck do I write about this morning? Not coming up with much, since both Patty and I are into the work routine, with little time for other stuff, I look out the window, and spot two young Mule Deer Bucks strolling by. A few minutes later, these two female Elk are headed in the same direction. In between, I missed a shot at a cottontail rabbit, who went hopping past my window. Fortunately, Sami was asleep on the sofa, or the howls would have been heard for miles. I'm thinking, it's a wildlife parade without the marching bands and colorful floats.

As I've mentioned, this is almost a daily occurrence here at the South Rim of the Grand Canyon. If not at our motor home, these plentiful creatures are spotted all over the village. Now, if I was a Mountain Lion, I think I would find a way to overcome my dislike for human contact, and sneak into the village for one of these big kitty dinners.

This young buck is watching a white van as it approaches

The white van is moving, with little effect on the deer

I guess enough is enough. I'll make a promise to only post more pictures of Deer and Elk if they are attacking me, attempting to break into our motor home, or otherwise disrupting our daily routine. Since that isn't likely, maybe I will be able to come up with other things to write about.

On a different subject, Patty was up bright and early this morning on her day off, to join some of her coworkers on a highway cleanup detail. Reminds me of the many times we organized volunteers to help us clean up two stretches of highway back in CA, when we had our Harley-Davidson Dealership. One of the differences from then to now, is that we rewarded our helpers with pizza after the cleanup, Patty is getting paid overtime for her efforts. Wahoooooooo!

1 comment:

  1. Do you have any info on deer tick problems in the Canyon that lead to lyme disease? I've never heard it discussed regarding the Grand Canyon area and wondered if you had to watch out for it.

    ReplyDelete