Total Pageviews

Wednesday, June 1, 2011

SAMI'S NEW FRIENDS

This picture was taken right before the Elk struck Sami on the head with one of her front hooves.

Well, not exactly! During our morning walk today, we first encountered 7 female Rocky Mountain Elk, just outside the motor home. Then, a few steps later, we stumbled on about the same number of Mule Deer.

Sami's first instinct with rabbits, squirrels, cats, and other small animals is to give chase. The more they run, the more she pulls on her leash like a sled dog. Sometimes she tries the same tactic with larger animals such as horses or cows. When they don't run, the game is over as far as she's concerned. This morning, it was more like let me smell you, and then you can go on eating or doing whatever Elk and Deer do. She got nose to nose with a couple of the Elk, and just before we were ready to go back in the motor home, the one pictured above, gave Sam a bop on the head with one of her front hooves. That caused an instant yelp, and a quick retreat. If dogs could think like us, she was probably feeling like, OK, game over, I don't want to play anymore.

The leash we have is 16 feet long, so that is the distance I am from most of these animals, when I took the pictures. These close encounters are pretty routine around here, as they are in many of the National Parks. The animals soon learn that they have nothing to fear from us humans, and thus, they become humanized. Getting these pictures of Sami with the Elk and Deer were not routine for us, and after the one Elk gave Sami the front legged greeting, I suspect she will have a little more respect for these large critters.

Seeing the Elk and Deer are almost a daily occurrence here in Grand Canyon National Park. While I was driving the Hermits Route Yesterday, I had to slow the bus on about 5 different occasions, due to Elk near the road. A few days ago, I learned that 25 mountain lions (cougars) have been captured, collared, and are being monitored at, or near the South Rim. The driver who trained me, has seen 2 mountain lions in his 5 years of living year round in the Park.

As my bucket list gets shorter, the one thing that will remain near the top, is the sighting of a mountain lion in the wild. Even if it's just a glimpse, as one runs across the road, then I'll be a happy camper. Perhaps I'll get lucky this summer.

These Mule Deer weren't exactly happy to have Sami intruding into their space

The weather here at the South Rim of the Grand Canyon has been almost ideal as far as I'm concerned. I think Patty would like it to be a little warmer, but daytime temps in the mid 60's to the mid 70's fit right into my wheelhouse. At 7,000 feet elevation, it typically cools down into the 40's at night. In the 2 weeks that we've been here, the air conditioning has remained off, and I hope it stays that way through most of the summer.

1 comment:

  1. Uh oh ... I see a Jessie problem on the horizon!!! That's just how she got her foot broken with the horses!! LOVE the pics of Sami ... such a sweetheart, I hope her head is okay. What a really tough job my friend!!!

    ReplyDelete