Total Pageviews

Tuesday, June 21, 2011

BREAKFAST & STARGAZING

One of the things I enjoy doing on a day off, is fixing what I call my "mega breakfast", and that's exactly what I did yesterday morning. With little plans for the day, I was in no hurry to be anywhere, so the first order of business was frying up some potatoes with lots of onions, bell peppers, spices and cheese. Then came the bacon, topped off with scrambled eggs, ham, mushrooms and cheese. One of the best ways to describe my mega breakfasts is that they are a coronary delight. There's absolutely no thought given to counting calories, or using fat free ingredients. I think Patty has learned over the years that it doesn't do any good to suggest more healthy ingredients, and probably just shakes her head as I use bacon grease while frying my potatoes. You know the old saying - "you can't change the stripes on a tiger". Since giving up tobacco and alcohol decades ago, I find it very easy to rationalize my sometimes (make that often), unhealthy eating habits. For those that know me, I could survive quite nicely from meals at N and Out, the best hamburgers on the planet.

After breakfast, I ran some errands, then spent part of the afternoon catching up on some reading. I picked Patty up from work a little after 8, and we drove up to the Visitors Center, where the "Stargazer Week" was kicking off. During the next several days, amateur astronomers from all over the western U.S. have their telescopes set up in one of the parking lots. I guess this is a good place to look at the stars due to the high altitude, and lack of light pollution. We looked through a couple of huge telescopes that were aimed at Saturn. It was pretty cool being able to see the rings around the planet and several of it's moons. Not a hobby I could wrap my arms around, but nevertheless, it's always interesting to participate, or watch someone else involved with their passion.

No comments:

Post a Comment