Total Pageviews

Sunday, July 26, 2009

A TRAIN IN OHIO


In the little town of Jefferson, Ohio, there is a small tourist train that operates on weekends, on about 6 miles of track between Jefferson and Ashtabula, Ohio. We were among the first to arrive at about 12:15, as the train crew was preparing for the first run of the day. There's a couple of sayings that are often very true.......One, is it helps to be "in the right place at the right time", and second, "timing is everything". I approached Keith, the conductor and asked where we might buy tickets, and he pointed me toward a small building that they were just opening. We engaged in some small talk, mostly about trains, and he offered that they do allow folks to ride in the engine, from time to time, and asked if I was interested? He now had my full attention, as I said "absolutely", anticipating what might be much more that just a train ride. He asked, "do you want to ride both ways"? I replied that the return trip would be perfect. That way, Patty & I could ride together going out, and I would ride in the engine on the way back. He said "it's a done deal, I'll come get you when we get to the other end". Well, now I'm worse than a kid in a candy store. I'm looking at my watch every 10 seconds, wondering why the time is dragggging by soooooo slowly. Finally, the train departs, and it's a nice 30 minute ride through the woods, with a couple of river crossings. At the Ashtabula end, the engine disconnects, and runs around the train, from the front to the back, picking me up in the process. My thoughts at that moment were that I had died and gone to heaven. I've ridden in the cab of a Shay, geared locomotive in British Columbia, and in the cab of #28, a steam locomotive in Jamestown, CA, and now, I was about to ride in the cab of a 1941, Alco, diesel electric, 600 horsepower locomotive. For a train nut like me, it doesn't get much better. I took a bunch of pictures, which I will post later when I have a better Sprint connection. What started as a routine, tourist train ride, ending up being a memorable 30 minutes in the cab of a vintage, diesel locomotive, that I will remember forever. Thanks guys, at the Ashtabula, Carson & Jefferson Scenic Line Railroad.

No comments:

Post a Comment