Total Pageviews

Tuesday, July 28, 2009

RV'ing IS AN ADVENTURE















We left the Kenisee Lakes Thousand Trails, on a pretty nice morning, and started our 180 mile drive to the Niagara Falls area.
Our second toll road experience was upon us quickly, as we entered a 20 mile section of I90 that cost $11.90 when we got to the other end. Lots more of these toll roads in our future. When we got to a point, E/B on I90, at exit 45 in PA, I saw a sign that said "Niagara Falls Area Information", so I pulled off the freeway, to check out the things to do at Niagara Falls. As it turned out, that was probably the best move of the day. When I got out of the motor home, I immediately smelled that distinct odor of engine coolant. As I got to the back, at the engine compartment, I could see a green liquid dripping on the ground. That was the bad news. The good news was that I was off the freeway, I didn't lose all of the coolant, and the engine didn't overheat. The other good news, the leak was from a coolant hose that was fairly accessible. At 11:45, I called Good Sam, our emergency road service provider, gave our location, and what the problem was. After about an hour, with no call back, I decided that the outcome with Good Sam, was not going to be very pretty. At the information center, I ascertained that there was a NAPA Auto Parts store within a few miles, so I disconnected the Jeep, and went after a hose & some coolant. Even though it wasn't the exact replacement hose, I bought it, cut part of it off, and was about done with the job when the phone rang. This is now a little over 2 hours after my initial call. The Good Sam person said, so & so mobile repair will be at your location in about 45 minutes. I politely said thank you very much, call them back and tell them to cancel, that I was almost done with the repair. I mean come on, how long does it take to make a couple of phone calls, and get some help headed in your direction. Fortunately, I was able to fix the problem, and we arrived at the Niagara Lazy Lakes RV Park where we had a reservation through Resort Parks International (RPI). This is a nice quiet park, with 30 amp electric & water for $10 a night. We'll be here about 3-4 days, which should be long enough for us to see the sights around the Falls. We have a broad band Sprint connection here, so I posted a few more train pictures from a couple days ago.

No comments:

Post a Comment