Total Pageviews

Saturday, July 18, 2009

JUST DRIVING

Yesterday was an uneventful, just drive down the freeway day. As we get closer to Chicago, I've noticed that the traffic on I80 is getting a little more congested. I pulled off the interstate in Peru, IL at about 3 pm, and parked at a super Wal Mart. This is a little earlier than I like to stop for the day but, I didn't want to hit the Chicago traffic at 5pm on a Friday. There are a couple of ways around Chicago, if you don't mind going farther south, and traveling on back roads. I remember one year we were pulling the H.D. trailer to the race in Joilet, IL, which is southwest of Chicago. I looked at the map, and decided that instead of dealing with all of the traffic, and paying the toll, I would take a highway through South Chicago, that paralleled I80. Boy, was that a mistake! Not only was the road terrible, it passed through some of the worst ghettos that I had ever seen. When we got to the race track, I was thankful we didn't have a mechanical problem. During that experience, I discovered that dealing with heavy freeway traffic and toll roads, is not nearly as stressful as driving through what looked like a war zone.
Today will be a short driving day, and the traffic shouldn't be too terrible in the Chicago area. Even though our appointment at the RV repair facility isn't until Tuesday, they have assigned us a space in their private RV park, so we'll have hookups for a couple of days.

No comments:

Post a Comment