Total Pageviews

Tuesday, January 15, 2013

MEXICAN FISH TACOS


This week's agenda included at least one trip across the border into Algodones, Mexico, which is only about an 8 mile drive west on I8 from Yuma.  Patty wanted another pair of glasses, I needed to see my Mexican Dentist, and a visit to one of the many pharmacies is always a must do in this small border town that caters to thousands of senior citizens.   Oh, I almost forgot, one of the for sure, must do things for us in Algodones, is a stop at the fish taco stand.  We discovered these edible delights many years ago, and the deep fried fish or shrimp is always a hi light when we cross the border.

I ate 3 of the shrimp tacos,the last one pictured above.   Patty & Nancy had 2 fish tacos each, and the total for all 7 was $10.50.


We've been getting our glasses at Algodones Optical, where the entire process from exam to new glasses only takes about 2-4 hours, depending on how busy they are.  Patty picked up her frame from Wal Mart when we arrived in Yuma, for $24.  The total bill yesterday for her eye exam, and progressive (no line) bifocals was $59.  For $83, she has a new pair of glasses that would have been several hundred dollars here in the U.S.  Even with insurance, glasses in Mexico are much less expensive for us.

I wonder if this typical electrical mess would be up to code on our side of the border?
 
 I thought this sign was kind of interesting, in that these dentists market their services to the RV crowd.


While we passed a little time, waiting for Patty's glasses to be built, we found an outdoor restaurant/bar, that had live entertainment.  It was a one man singer/band, who played 50's, 60's, and 70's music, and he was good enough to get a few people up, and dancing.  Sitting in the sun on this colder than normal day was a plus, as we warmed our bones.

The dentist that I've had good luck with, Carmen Ovando, was not open, so I missed the opportunity to sit in the chair, and have someone drilling into my teeth.  I guess that's not an entirely bad thing, since nothing has to be done right away.  The dentistry prices in Algodones are about 75% less than in the states, and it is often cheaper for me, even with insurance, to have dental work done in Mexico.  I've had good luck with my dentist, but I've also heard of just the opposite. 

This morning, I have one of the many mobile RV wash/wax companies coming to wash and hand wax our 2 motor homes.  The price for both is $250.  Pictures tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment