Total Pageviews

Wednesday, September 11, 2013

A BEACH TOWN


While growing up on the Central CA Coast, the beaches were a close destination.  Before cars, girls, and the more complicated things in life, my friends and I would ride our bicycles about 4 miles out to the beach, where the waves were all we needed for entertainment.  Eventually, we graduated from riding the surf on our air mattresses, to boogie boards, and later, real surf boards.  The surf boards came when we all started to drive, and the better surfing was a little farther from home.  Many a weekend night was spent cruising the Santa Cruz Beach Boardwalk where it was ALL about the cars, and the girls. 

 This statue of Lewis & Clark represents the end of their westward trek to the Pacific Ocean.

Seaside kind of reminds me of those carefree years, where we spent a lot of time at the beach, having fun doing what teenagers do.  Yesterday, we drove down Broadway to the turn around at the beach, and found a parking place on Seaside's main drag. 


After checking out all of the tourist shops, we eventually made our way back to the Jeep, where we had lunch at the Tsunami Sandwich Co.  The tsunami pastrami on sourdough was pretty awesome, and took care of my mid day stomach growls.

 In my younger days, the motto was "Live to ride, ride to live".  I think I like this one better.

 If you like a pastrami sandwich, this is a good place.

 Patty didn't tell me she was moonlighting.


Inside a large building that houses this carousel, there's also about 20 businesses.  What would a beach side tourist town be without a merry-go-round?  I wish I had a dollar for every time I rode the one at the Santa Cruz Boardwalk.
 


Finally, I got to drag the girls into a real store, that didn't have fabric, yarn, or pink stuff on the shelves!  The Man Store on Broadway has important things for sale, like man cave signs, hot rod shirts, Marilyn Monroe posters, and even a simulated street rod that is pictured below.  Now, that's what I'm talking about!


I mentioned Nancy was considering an upgrade to her Thousand Trails membership in yesterdays blog.  I guess I should let her fill in the details, as there were a bunch of consultations between she, myself, and Nick yesterday.  A link to Kissack Adventures is on this blog, below CHP Memories.

Today is an important anniversary of an event that should always remind us that there is evil in this world.  Sep 11, 2001 changed everything, and not for the better!

No comments:

Post a Comment