Total Pageviews

Monday, September 21, 2009

SUNDAY RACING

OK, I admit it, I'm a gear head. I guess it all started with my first car when I was 16, a 58 Chevy Impala, with a 348 cubic inch engine. It wasn't very long before that modest engine was a fire breathin 409, with twice carburetors, and lots of other go fast stuff. The only trouble was the car weighed a ton, actually, about 2 tons, and there was always someone with a little faster hot rod. Back in the early 60's, me and my buddies were either driving up to Fremont, CA on the weekend to watch the big boys race their fuelers and gassers, or, we were driving to Salinas, or Half Moon Bay, to drag race our own cars. Most formats of auto and motorcycle racing, stirs my competitive juices, so, on many Sundays, when the tube is filled with lots of the above, that's where you'll find me parked. Yesterday was one of those days. Both NASCAR and NHRA began their post season playoff races at Loudon, NH, and Charlotte, NC, respectively. It was an exciting day for me, but Patty isn't exactly a rabid race fan, so part of her day was filled with a trip to the local Wal-Mart. Today, we break camp, and head even farther south to what we hope is an awesome destination. Our arrival won't be until tomorrow, so we'll pull into an RV park tonight, and turn on both air conditioners. Have I mentioned that it's been hot and humid here in Florida?

No comments:

Post a Comment