Total Pageviews

Tuesday, September 15, 2009

ORLANDO

It was with a little sadness, that we pulled out of the campground at the lake, and pointed the motor home south for Florida. Our visit with Mike & Amy was way too short, but it was so good to see them. Rather than take the freeway, I drove almost due south from Augusta, on hwy 1 and 441. We passed through the small town of Harlem, GA, where the town entrance sign proclaimed it was the birthplace of Oliver Hardy. In the middle of town, with no place to park a rig like ours, was the Laurel and Hardy museum. I'm sure Patty was glad there wasn't any parking, but as a kid, Laurel & Hardy were right up there with the Little Rascals, and Abbott & Costello. It's amazing what you stumble across when you hit the back roads of this great country. I told Patty to remind me to get fuel before we left Georgia, because it's quite a bit cheaper than Florida. Well, by taking the back roads, I didn't pass any facilities that I could easily get into, so before I knew it, we passed a big sign that said "Welcome to Florida". Since we were only at a half tank, I kept going until we were on I75 headed south, and when the first truck stop appeared, I pulled in for fuel. If I could have physically done it, I would have kicked myself, because, we passed up as low as $2.38 a gallon for diesel, and I was now staring at $2.85 a gallon. As the old saying goes, "when you snooze, you lose", and in this case, the 70 gallons I put in the tank, ended up costing me about an extra $35. If I sound like I'm whining, well, I am. I am glad however, that fuel costs this summer are a lot lower than they would have been, if we had done this trip last summer. We pulled into the Thousand Trails Preserve just before dark, and after getting parked, it was time for a little TV, then off to bed. Judy C, if you read the blog again, our email is dchance4@gmail.com. Patty can't find your address, and would like to contact you.

No comments:

Post a Comment