Total Pageviews

Friday, September 11, 2009

AUGUSTA, GA

Our arrival at Mike and Amy Chance's house was mid afternoon yesterday, and it was great to see both of them, plus my favorite German Shepherd, Tiga. Patty got her cat fix, with Harley and Sarah, before we loaded up, and headed out to the military recreation area at the lake. Mike lead the way, pulling their boat, I followed in the motor home, Patty followed me, towing the jet ski, and Amy was the tail gunner. We were a real caravan heading out of town. It was about 20 miles from their house, and upon arrival, I got the motor home parked in a full hook-up spot, which sits on a beautiful peninsula. Mike & Amy got situated across from us in a nice rental trailer, then it was time to grill some hamburgers for dinner. After dinner, we had a chance to visit for awhile, before catching part of the NFL opening game. Parked next to us is a young, brand new warrant officer with his family, who was just assigned to Fort Gordon outside of Augusta. I remember very clearly the day that Mike became a warrant officer, after graduating from school in Fort Rucker, Alabama. Amy and I flew in for the ceremony, and we had the honor of pinning his bars on for the first time. I had such a feeling of pride for this oldest kid, who made a career out of the army, and is still enjoying many benefits today. The use of this beautiful recreation area on the lake, is just one of several perks that Mike retains as a retired Army Officer. When I start talking about one of my kids being retired, I have to be sure and frame the conversation around retired military, so I don't start feeling like a real old person. Today, Mike will put their boat in the lake, and some of their friends will be here tomorrow. We'll be at the lake for the next 3 nights, then will be continuing south into Florida. The Sprint connection works here, but is rather slow. Will try some pictures tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment