Total Pageviews

Saturday, September 12, 2009

CRUISIN THE LAKE


After I cooked a mega breakfast, we started getting ready to put the boat in the water. The first thing Mike discovered, was that the boat battery was deader than a door nail! No problem. We had 2 battery chargers between us, so, we simply delayed the launch for an hour or so. Once we were on the water, I was amazed at how big this lake is. It is part of the Savanna River, and straddles the Georgia - South Carolina State Lines. It was an overcast day, but the temps were around 80 degrees, and the water was almost like a mirror. Most of the lake was so smooth, Mike put on his bare footin suit, and I was quickly pulling him at about 40 MPH. Patty took the picture of him skiing without skies, on almost glass like water. Every time I watch Mike bare foot, doing tumble turns, skiing on one foot, crossing the wake, it never ceases to amaze me. In my younger days, I tried to step off a ski, but every attempt ended in a spectacular crash. Watching Mike, it seems too easy. After he ran out of gas, and let go of the rope, Amy put on her wake board, and almost effortlessly, popped out of the water. We watched her jump the wake for the first time, but unfortunately, I didn't have the camera ready. It was fun watching the kids, including Tiga, jump off the swim platform to fetch the tennis ball. Later in the day, we BBQ'd some steaks, then sat around the campfire until well after dark. The contrast between what was a thoroughly enjoyable day with our kids, and what occurred 8 years ago on Sep 11th, was striking. I often found myself thinking that thousands of families would not be able to enjoy days like this, because of some whacked out extremists, who want to destroy our way of life. I'm not a fan of big government, but when it comes to protecting our freedoms, the bigger, the better!

No comments:

Post a Comment