Total Pageviews

Wednesday, March 12, 2014

DRIVING DIFFERENT MOTOR HOMES

I officially became a "driver" yesterday morning at La Mesa RV, when I returned to work.  Still teamed with a more experienced driver, I was told by the transportation supervisor to start driving.  The big move of remaining RV's, from the fairgrounds back to the dealership was completed yesterday, and I drove 6 different motor homes, one of which was a gas powered class A.

It has been a lot of years since I last drove a gas powered class A motor home.  Our last gas rig was a 98 Bounder that didn't stay in the stable very long.  Due primarily to a lack of power, it was replaced by our first diesel powered rig, a 2000 Discovery.

Most all of the gas rigs today, are built on the Ford chassis, with a V10 engine.  The first motor home I drove yesterday, was a 34 foot, gas powered Tiffin class A, and even though the V10 Ford engine has more power than the 98 bounder, it's still nowhere near a diesel.  Then, there's the difference between the ride of a gas RV, versus a diesel chassis.  The diesel is much more stable, and with the engine in the back, it's a lot quieter. 

At some point farther down the road, I thought that we might downsize to a gas motor home, but after driving one yesterday, I'm not so sure that's ever going to happen!

4 comments:

  1. Hello Dan, I just read about your blog and its interesting. Do you have Facebook and twitter accounts so that I can follow all your posts:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I do believe we share the same sentiment regarding gas vs diesel.

    ReplyDelete
  3. When you get the opportunity, take a look at https://www.facebook.com/groups/293502630792188/ a FB group for diesel motorhome enthusiasts.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great blog full of your awesome adventures. Are you still keeping up on other media streams? If you ever get a chance come on down to westminster Ca to share your stories with us at DDRV.com

    ReplyDelete