Total Pageviews

Sunday, September 11, 2011

SHOSHONE POINT & A FLUTE

Shoshone Point in the background over my left shoulder

Yesterday, after we finished getting the motor home ready to go, and had run a few errands, we decided to take one last look at this magnificent Grand Canyon that has been our home for the past 3 1/2 months. We drove east on Hwy 64, about a mile past the Yaki Point turn off, and parked the car at the Shoshone Point road. The road past the locked gate is accessible to pedestrians, but only to vehicles with a permit from the Park Service. It was about a mile walk, and upon arrival, we both agreed that it was well worth the effort. What an incredible view! At the end of the road, at the edge of the Canyon, there are picnic tables, a covered pavilion, and a rest room. This area is often reserved for weddings, special occasions, and in fact, was being set up by a caterer from Sedona for a tour group from France.

After lunch in Tusayan, at you guessed it, Wendy's, I finished up a couple of projects back at the motor home. At 7pm, we met a friend at the Community Center building for the last performance at the Grand Canyon Music Festival. When the festival opened last week, Patty and Beatrice attended a performance, and I agreed to to go with them on this last night. Not knowing anything about the music, I soon found out that the combination of a grand piano, an accordion, and a flute weren't exactly the instruments that create the type of music that I have on my Ipod. Despite my lack of enthusiasm for this cultural event, I must say that the three musicians (2 from Argentina), were quite talented, and part of the performance included a couple who danced very well to the tango music. After my participation at this event, the way I've got it figured, Patty owes me big time, and will now have to ride a countless number of trains for the next 15 years!

This was our first full day off together, since the middle of May, before we both started our jobs, and it was a nice relaxed day. This morning, I'll unhook the utilities, and we'll pull out of Trailer Village, and head for Lake Havasu. We're both looking forward to the next chapter, but not exactly real enthusiastic about returning to 100+ degree weather. I guess you can't have everything.

I hope everybody remembers what happened 10 years ago today, and never forgets the fact that there is an enemy out there that seeks to destroy us.

No comments:

Post a Comment