Total Pageviews

Friday, September 16, 2011

AN EXPENSIVE PART

After posting on the blog yesterday, I went by Joes RV & Truck, and talked to the owner about the radiator fan problem. The electronic fan control module was the failed part, and when they called Monaco, the stars must have been aligned just right, because they had the exact part in stock, and it was already programed for the Cummins ISL 400 engine. Maybe I shouldn't have said that, because the module isn't here yet, and well, you know, Murphy's law could still be applicable.

When the problem was diagnosed yesterday, I told Joe I would pay the extra shipping charge for an overnight delivery, so, it should be here this morning. Changing the module will only take a few minutes, so again, with any luck, the motor home should be back under the shade cover by this afternoon. When I asked what the cost was for this fan control module, it's a good thing I was braced against the counter, because the cost before shipping and tax is going to be $1,055. That's the bad news. The good news is we still have about 2 years left on the warranty we purchased when we bought the new motor home. This very expensive part will end up costing us $50, plus the overnight shipping charge. I normally don't purchase extended warranties because I usually don't come out ahead, however, in this case, I'm way ahead of the original cost. During the remaining 2 years of coverage, I think it's probably safe to say that there will be a need to use this warranty again, perhaps more than once. In this case, the crystal ball 4 years ago was right on, and not having to write a check for $1,055 right now, is a pretty good feeling.

The next priority for me, is to throw my leg over the Harley, and as the song Born to be Wild goes - "get out on the highway". As soon as I get the motor home parked, I'll be heading toward one of my most favorite places, Death Valley. It's still a little warm, around 100 degrees, but with the new radio blasting my favorite tunes from the Ipod, I'll be in a zone where the temperature won't even matter!

1 comment: