Total Pageviews

Sunday, September 4, 2011

DRIVING A TRANSIT BUS

After 3 1/2 months behind the wheel of a 40' Transit Bus, I think I can safely say, the experience has been unique, at least in respect to my previous work camping jobs. I've driven tour buses in Alaska, and my one summer as a supervisor for the Glacier National Park transit system exposed me to some part time bus driving, but none of that compares to driving a shuttle bus here at the Grand Canyon National Park.

When I applied for this job, I knew I had the driving skills necessary to be a competent, and safe bus driver, but like any new workplace, there's always a certain amount of anxiety regarding new policies, procedures, schedules, and all that goes along with learning any new job. During the initial week long training session, there were a few times when I wondered what I had gotten myself into. The learning curve seemed like it was quite steep, and even though I've always been pretty adaptable to most situations, I remember thinking that there was an awful lot to learn, in a short amount of time.

Now that it's almost time to leave, with a bunch of bus driving miles under my belt, I feel like I have become a part of the team, and more of an asset, than a liability. While learning this job, I made many of the rookie mistakes, but fortunately, none were of a serious nature, and I guess that's all part of the learning process.

This picture was taken out the front bus door, at the Powell Point bus stop

Last week, I had a short conversation with the bus system manager, and even though she wanted me to stay for another 3 months, I made it clear that for a number of reasons, I only wanted to work the summer season. When the subject of me returning next summer came up, she was reluctant to commit, and commented that she preferred to hire drivers who were willing to stay for 6 and 9 month periods of time. We agreed to touch base after the first of the year, and she would be in a better position to let me know about working again next summer. So, nothing is definite, but I can't help but think we'll be back, and unless we hear otherwise, that's what we're planning.

1 comment:

  1. Well, you've certainly presented a new and interesting perspective on workamping. I enjoy your posts and hope for more frequent ones, as you are a talented writer. Happy travels!

    ReplyDelete