Total Pageviews

Saturday, April 14, 2012

CHINESE FOOD

No, not the take out variety, but the stuff you buy in the grocery store. A couple of days ago, I posted a story about chicken dog treats that originate in China, and the link of that product to F.D.A. warnings. I also mentioned a type of fish sold at Costco, that also came from China.

Yesterday morning, we decided to make a Sam's Club run up to Bullhead City, and that's where we discovered that they also sell this particular fish product that comes from China. If it appears that I'm overly focusing on Chinese products, well, perhaps I am. We've all read the stories about bad stuff coming from that country, ranging from lead in children's toys, to hazardous ingredients in dog food. When you combine the lack of quality control on food and manufactured products, with the political & economic factors, the picture from China is not a pretty one. Just the fact that really cheap labor in China has caused millions of jobs to be relocated there, is enough reason alone, to maybe rethink any purchases where the product originates in that country.

So, as our cart is getting fuller and fuller, we're cruisin through the frozen food section, and I notice that the same tilapia fish from China is now available at Sam's. I didn't get a picture of the bag, but of the three types of tilapia fish on the shelf, it was the only one from China. Patty is the fish eater, and after looking at the other two types of tilapia from the U.S., she picked the one pictured. While she was deciding which one to buy, a watched a fellow pick a bag of the Chinese Tilapia, and start to put it in his cart. I'm usually pretty quiet about my verbal opinions, but I just couldn't help myself. I pointed out to this individual that the tilapia he chose was a product of China, and the other two originated in the U.S. He quickly put the bag back, and thanked us for pointing that out. As I said before, up until just a short while ago, I never looked at food product labels, and I suspect that most of the general public doesn't either. Well, I do now!

No comments:

Post a Comment