Total Pageviews

Monday, April 2, 2012

BALBOA PARK

Parked at the Pio Pico Thousand Trails, near Jamul, CA (E/of San Diego).

Our first day on the San Diego adventure was started with Laila's favorite breakfast item, Grandpa's "Mickey Mouse" pancake. She gobbled up two of these before we piled into the jeep, and set off for Balboa Park in downtown San Diego.

After some serious frizzy hair fixing by Grandma, Laila posed for a picture, with her "My Mom Rocks" shirt front and center. From where we're parked, it's about a 30 minute drive into San Diego, short enough not to hear those most famous words, "are we there yet"? Our destination was Balboa Park, home to the world famous San Diego Zoo. Because we had a leisurely morning, I decided to save the zoo for another day where we'll get an earlier start.

Our first stop was at the 1910 Carousel , one of the last in existence that still offers a chance to grab the brass ring. We rode this authentic merry-go-round twice, with Laila on a dog the first time, and on a horse the second time.

It's often interesting, how certain smells can transport you back in time, to places that are associated with certain aroma's. While inside this mostly all wood structure, if I closed my eyes, I would have sworn that I was inside the carousel at the Santa Cruz Beach and Boardwalk. While growing up in Santa Cruz County, the boardwalk was a place that I knew quite well.

If there's one thing that's a given, if a train ride is anywhere nearby, Grandpa can sniff it out in a heartbeat. So it was with the Balboa Park Railroad. We only had to walk a short distance from the Carousel, to the train station, and we soon heard that very familiar "All Aboard".

The train ride was about one half mile, and it didn't last very long, but put me on just about anything that travels over steel rails, and I'm a happy camper. The 1950 era diesel engines were authentic down to the last detail, and it's neat to see that kids of all ages are still enjoying these miniature park railroads.


Laila picked the seat right behind the engineer.

When Laila saw the balloon artist, one of the sculptures caught her eye, and she decided that it needed to go home with us. We watched with awe, as this guy created a combination bear and flower, and the finished product is displayed below. Always interested in the business side of just about everything, I asked this individual if he had to rent his little space. His reply was that it was based on a monthly lottery among street vendors. Two years ago, he won a permit for all 12 months. Last year he only scored a permit for 3 months. I guess times are tough for even the unconventional worker.

Laila with her new air filled toy.

This little yellow bucket spun around, and it didn't take Laila very long to figure out how to make it go, with just a little leg action. She kept coming back to this very simple fixture, and there was often a line of kids waiting to get themselves dizzy.

By the time we got back to the motor home, it was time to BBQ some chicken, and when that was done, Laila & Grandma played a card game while I watched the Las Vegas Drag Race. At my oldest son Michael's request, who's still in Afghanistan, I joined he, his brother Marc, and two other guys in a fantasy drag racing league. After the first weeks race in Gainesville, FL, I was in first place. After yesterdays race, the drivers I picked didn't do very well, and my top dawg position is in serious jeopardy.

This morning, we're headed for Sea World. Hope it's a sunny day like yesterday.

1 comment:

  1. And I know from experience that those are the BEST pancakes EVER!!!! I'm curious what Thousand Trails parks charges for the non-member??

    ReplyDelete