Total Pageviews

Tuesday, April 17, 2012

BURROS & A SCUBA DOG

On Sunday, while we were watching the boat races from the beach, just down to our right, I noticed this Boxer dog disappearing under the water. The first time it happened, I thought my eyes were deceiving me, but when it happened a second time, I had to walk down and check it out. Sure enough, the owner was throwing a sinkable object into the water, about 10 feet out from the shore, and this dog would completely submerge itself, find the object, and come up with it in it's mouth. I'm not talking about a quick head bob under water, this dog was actually swimming under the water, that was approx. 2-3 feet deep, and staying under for 5-10 seconds. I've never seen a dog do anything like that before, and it kind of gave a new meaning to the word "fetch"!

After we had lunch in Parker, Bob, Diana, Patty and I drove north on the CA side of the river, and we saw Burros almost everywhere. The first encounter was when a few were crossing the road, and we later saw groups of 5-10 in two other locations. I've seen them before along this stretch, and there are signs warning motorists, but I've never seen so many.

The wild Burros in the old mining town of Oatman are well known for their presence on the street, but most folks have no idea how many Burros there are along this stretch of CA road between Parker, and the Davis Dam. Coincidentally, Diana had made a comment earlier, that she hoped we would spot one of the wild Burros. Well, we certainly did, it was almost like Burro overload!

They sure are cute critters, especially the young ones. This group near the storage buildings, was headed toward the river, probably looking for some liquid refreshment. With no natural predators, these wild Burros seem to thrive in the desert, and occasionally, I read about the Bureau of Land Management doing a roundup, in order to keep their population under control. They have an adoption program, and since 1971, approx. 225,000 wild horses and burros have been placed into private care.

This last small group of burros was walking up the Black Canyon Road.

This morning, I have a 7 am appointment to have the motor home serviced, and get a couple of things fixed. The Grand Canyon is calling, and arrival there is less than two weeks away.

No comments:

Post a Comment